Saturday, October 5, 2019

Master of the Universe

I will never claim to have grandiose dreams of universe mastery. Frankly, it sounds like way too much work for this occasionally lazy neutral evil character. I don't want to have to care about what a bunch of modrons are doing or what is the latest news concerning the life or unlife of Gith. Mostly, I want to go on adventures, acquire gold pieces and an occasional gem from dead monsters, use those gold pieces and gems to acquire various intoxicants from shady merchants, party with all sorts of humans, demihumans, humanoids, and whomever else is down for it, sleep for a couple days, and then go on another adventure to acquire more gold piece, etc.

That is just me though. I have met more than a few characters in my time who are interested in far larger things, including controlling various parts of the universe. Acererak from the Tomb of Horrors, for example, that demi-lich had dreamed big. Granted, we ended up smashing his stupid skull into powder and looting his tomb, but he stole a couple souls during the battle, so it was a fairly even trade off. But Acererak was hoping to colonize part of the negative material plane so he could run all the undead throughout the universe. That is dreaming big. For all I know, he is still at it now; demi-liches are notoriously hard to really kill, and frankly, after we did the ol' smashy-smashy, looty-looty on the tomb, the couple of us who were left weren't hanging around to see if Acererak was done for good. He was done for good enough. I still have the ring of free action that I walked out of that stinky crypt with.


"Master of the Universe" was the song that got me into Hawkwind. Long-time collaborator MK-Ultra brought a version of it over to my apartment when we were both living in pre-cataclysm Atlantis. It was just riff-driven enough to keep metal me interested and just spaced out enough to keep psychonaut me intrigued. In return, I gave him Attila: it is not difficult to see who got the better end of this exchange.   

No comments:

Post a Comment