Thursday, October 3, 2019

Paranoia

Zero-level me spent a lot of time reading the Dungeon Masters Guide. Frankly, what else was I going to do? I didn't have cable; school wasn't exactly piling on the homework; I could usually get my chores done quickly, freeing up many a turn for digging through charts and tables. For example, the types of insanity table (page 83 for those of you reading along at home). I think this table is where I learned what dementia proecox was. In fact, I know it was since where else would I hear it? Fish from Barney Miller? Charles Emerson Winchester III from M*A*S*H? Same thing with hebephrenia. Now there is a term to show off to your fifth-grade chums.    


My favorite of all the listed types was paranoia. Maybe this description is where I started being interested in Heidegger's idea of "the they." Now I know that the better translation for the term is "the one," but that is nowhere near as menacing.



"Paranoia 1 and 2" will be our last posting from the first Hawkwind album. There are so many other albums I need to get to. I can't believe I spent three days on this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment