Friday, October 4, 2019

We shouldn't do that

I have uttered some version of "We shouldn't do that" or "You shouldn't do that" a few times during my adventuring career. Come up on a door that has a pile of bones in front of it, and Bithring the Footpad starts to take his helmet off so he can listen at the door. Perfect time to drop in the "you shouldn't do that." I have seen enough poison doors to know that putting a slightly hairy halfling ear to the wood is a good way to add another set of bones to the pile because there is no way that I am hauling a corpse back out of the dungeon. 

Once our usual party of miscreants, ne're-do-wells, and bottom feeders, who are exactly the kind of folks I like adventuring with, found a tavern in the middle of Gamboge Forest after marching a couple hexes into it. The tavern seemed to be quite lively: we could hear fiddle playing and boot stomping and mirth making. One of our more chaotic counterparts floated the idea of setting fire to the tavern and ambushing the fun-havers as they came running out. I mean, sure, it would have been an easy way to make a couple hundred gold pieces, I am not denying that. But I gave the "we shouldn't do that" and instead came up with an alternate plan: having Gerlin the Enchanter cast sleep over the tavern, robbing all the dozing patrons, stripping all their clothes, throwing those clothes into a nearby stream, and then waiting around for everyone to wake up. Now that was fun.

But you know what is more fun than saying "we shouldn't do that"? Saying that we should do that. Whenever possible, unleash the awesome power of yes.     


"You Shouldn't Do That" opens up In Search of Space, Hawkwind's incredible 1971 space rock opus. Granted, I don't like all my opening songs to be 15 minutes long, but if you are going to have an album that is about searching for space, you might as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment