Saturday, October 12, 2019

Web Weaver

I know I have written about a wide range of spiders before. Perverse Osmosis even has a song about one variety in particular [phase spiders]. But I don't think it can be said enough that I have, at best, a loose alliance with the spider kingdom, and, in most cases, do my best to avoid these 8-legged menaces.

One of my biggest complaints about spiders is the lack of anything resembling loot from dispatching them. Take a giant spider for example. An unsuspecting party might stumble into five of these poisonous web builders, fight/hack/slash their way through these multi-legged bastards, and end up with a bunch of copper pieces that are impossible to take out of the dungeon. Maybe, just maybe, there will be two or three gems, but those are unlikely to be worth much. 

Seriously, look at the Monster Manual sometime. Your best option for good treasure is a phase spider, and fighting them sucks. They are always ping-ponging around, looking to inject deadly venom and then slip into another dimension. I am glad that the one we wrote a song about lost its mind. I don't remember if we looted its lair, but I sure hope we did. There is a 25% chance that the party would have gotten a potion or a ring or a scroll. Those aren't great odds, but they are better than eight gold pieces.


"Web Weaver" is a little too hippy-dippy for your humble narrator, but the title was too good to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment